Now while breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, not eveyone necessarily wakes up starving with a stomach ready to store in enough food to help them get through their mornings.
So what could be a nutritional jam packed alternative to breakfast, that’s easier to make and offers just about as many health benefits as the latter? You guessed it ! Smoothies save lives when it comes to « unhungry » morning bellies.
Before I proceed to show you how to make your healthy morning smoothie, I’ve listed down below a few superfoods that are full of nutritional value and will certainely transform your smoothie into a full on breakfast :
- Blueberries : as they are low in calories and high in nutrient. They’re also believed to have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all common fruits and vegetables, which help protect the body from free radicals.
- Strawberries : as they are low in natural sugars, one serving of strawberries provides more vitamin c than an orange !
- Spinach : One of the healthiest foods on the planet. It’s known for its anti cancerous properties. It doesn’t taste the best but don’t worry, its taste won’t affect that of the smoothie
- Kale : great anti oxidant, low in calories
- Banana : it’s a great base to any smoothie, as it adds creaminess to the texture. Plus, it’s rich in potassium and fiber and helps you feel full for long.
- Greek yogurt : it contains half the carbs and double the protein in the regular yogurt.
- Lemon : Great cleaner. And its tartness helps cut through the bitterness of the greens.
- Ginger : helps digest and strenghtens the immune system
- Turmeric : contains anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties
- Flaxseeds and chia : rich in fiber and Omega-3s
Now that you have an idea of the common superfoods that you can include in your smoothie, let’s proceed to the recipes :
- Combo 1 :
Strawberries and Pineapple flavored
1 cup of strawberries
½ cup of pineapple
2 cups of orange juice
½ cup of greek yogurt
1 cup of spinach (optional)
1 tablespoon of flaxseeds or chia (optional)
Ice (optional) for some extra thickness and a fresher mixture
- Combo 2 :
An all greens smoothie
1 cup of pineapple
2 cups of spinach
½ cup of grapes
1 ½ cup of orange juice
- Combo 3 :
Peach and Mango
1 cup of peaches
1 cup of mangoes
1 cup of orange juice
¼ teaspoon of turmeric
¼ teaspoon of ginger
And there you go ! 3 protein and nutrient filled recipes that’ll get you through your toughest mornings and give you enough energy to kickstart your day !
They’re super easy and quick to make, delicious and very healthy. Make it a weekly habit and you’ll notice the difference. It’s totally worth a shot!